- 1) The Most Effective & Affordable Potassium Supplements Reviewed
- 2) What is Potassium
- 2.1) Why Should You Care About Potassium?
- 2.2) Understanding Potassium Deficiency
- 2.3) Using Potassium Supplements to Get More Potassium
- 3) The Benefits Of Potassium Supplements
- 4) Who Can Benefit from Potassium?
- 5) How To Take Potassium Supplements?
- 6) Are There Any Side Effects?
- 7) How To Choose a Good Potassium Supplement?
- 8) Conclusion
1) Top 10 Potassium Supplements for 2017 Reviewed
The supplement contains potassium citrate, which is a kind of bio-available potassium that's naturally present in some foods, and your body absorbs it naturally. This is possible the best potassium supplement on the market.
- Essential Mineral
- Supports Electrolyte Mineral Balance
- Supports Nervous System
- GMP Quality Assured
- A Dietary Supplement
The company has been around since the late 60s and the founder it Elwood Richard, whose family still owns the company. NOW Foods supplements can help improve your overall health, and they make one of the most well-known potassium supplements in the world.
- The supplement contains 99 milligrams of citrate potassium.
- It's made by a company that is known for producing quality products and one that truly cares about their customers.
- The supplement provides all of the benefits associated with potassium, and it provides additional support for kidney health.
- In my opinion, this is simply the best potassium supplement available, so make sure you give it a try.
It helps to balance the pH and electrolyte levels as well as supports the cardiovascular system and bone health. For athletes who want to improve their athletic performance and add extra potassium to their diet, this supplement is ideal.
- Since 1947
- Nerve & Muscle Health
- Promotes Electrolyte Balance
- Gluten, Wheat & Dairy Free
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Kosher Parve
- Dietary Supplement
Their products are exclusively distributed by retailers in the natural supplement industry with the knowledge and tools to effectively help consumers find the right product for them.
- This product contains potassium gluconate in a 99 mg presentation.
- This supplement is ideal for athletes.
- It promotes blood sugar being stored as glycogen; this feeds the muscles energy helping to improve athletic performance.
- This supplement is also ideal for preventing hypokalemia as well as bone loss.
- There is, however, an alternative which uses fewer fillers as well as cheaper alternatives.
Various bone health supports are also included, one of these is potassium. By alkalizing the body so that the alkaline matter found on the exterior of the bones is not instead used to balance pH, potassium protects bone strength. When no other source of an alkalizer exists, bone become used, this causes the bone mass to be reduced.
- Microcrystalline Hydroxyapatite
- Potassium Citrate & Natural MK-7
- Promotes Bone Density
- Gluten Free
- Dietary Supplement
They also fund research into nutritional supplements to help guarantee that their customers receive from their products only the very highest biological value.
- This product includes potassium citrate in a 99 mg presentation.
- Added copper, magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin D3 and much more.
- Bone health is what this supplement is geared towards. If that is the main benefit that you are looking to gain from a potassium supplement, then this supplement is perfect for you.
- In that aspect it is the most effective, however, in other areas, it may not be as effective.
However, it's also a good potassium supplement. Super Orange contains electrolytes, with potassium being one of them. This supplement is definitely worth getting.
- Essential Nutrients
- Antioxidants Vitamin C Manganese Zinc
- 7 B Vitamins
- Dietary Supplement
- Flavored Fizzy Drink Mix with Natural Flavors
- Caffeine Free
The company produces supplements and medicine that can alter people's lives, and they have used their knowledge and experience to produce Emergen-C Super Orange.
Pfizer is known for producing quality products, and Emergen-C is no different, so you can rest assure it is a quality product.
- It contains potassium bicarbonate.
- It also has 1,0000 mg of vitamin C.
- Other stuff that's in it includes B vitamins, added electrolytes and a number of antioxidants.
This supplement provides you with the benefits associated with potassium. However, it also provides you with the benefits associated with vitamin C, and it contains some other healthy stuff, including B vitamins and four major electrolytes, with one being potassium.
This is a great potassium supplement, and the company behind it is reputable, so you can't go wrong with buying and using it.
A basic potassium supplement, this supplement can be used to help redeem the main benefits offered by potassium, for example supporting kidney health, bone health and reducing blood pressure, etc.
- Established 1971
- Potassium Citrate Complexed With Potassium Amino Acid Chelate
- Certified Gluten-Free
- Promotes Nerve and Muscle Health
- Supports Electrolyte Balance
- Dietary Supplement
They offer four different brands which are ideal for various health needs, from protein supplements for athletes to dietary supplements. The received in 2012, the USDA Organic Manufacturing Certification.
- The product contains potassium in a 99 mg presentation in the form of potassium amino acid chelate and potassium citrate.
For experimenting with the mineral potassium, this is the ideal supplement. It provides the consumer with entry levels of potassium, and at a price that is very affordable. That being said, in some ways the potassium contents are ambiguous, and when compared to other alternatives the product user more fillers.
It can support muscles, strong bones, as well as provide you with a boost of energy and it is formulated to balance internal pH. Not only that, but it provides additional amino acids, which are essential to your healthy.
- Dietary Supplement
- Amino Acid Complex
- Supports kidney health
- Reduces blood pressure
- Supports cardiovascular health
- Reduces fatigue
- Healthy potassium dosage
- Supports overall health
However, there are a few drawbacks of this product, with one being that the term they use (complex) is ambiguous. That's the term they use on the label of the product.
What I'm trying to say is the amino acids used are not found on the label, so you don't know if there are more fillers than actual amino acids being used. Fillers are not a good thing.
The more fillers a product has, the fewer benefits you'll likely experience using it. Those are the best potassium supplements. Each one offers a number of benefits. Go ahead and give one of them a try today.
It assists in helping convert blood sugar into glycogen, which means your muscles will have more energy. Not only that, but the supplement can help reduce fatigue and balance out pH levels.
It's also worth pointing out that this supplement is powerful. In fact, it may be one of the most effective of its kind. This is why it is worth trying.
- Dietary Supplement - USP Verified
- Formulated for Easy Absorption
- Helps Control Activity of the Heart Muscle
- Dietary Supplement
- Fuel Your Greatness
- No Artificial Colors
- No Artificial Flavors
- No Preservatives
- No Yeast, Starch or Gluten
Their products are affordable, and they support clinical trials, public studies and they conduct their own trials. The products they sell are based on science, and they have been proven to work, which is why Nature Made produces some of the best supplements around.
Their supplement provides you with all of the benefits associated with potassium, and the company itself is dedicated to producing natural supplements that are designed to work.
If you want to use one of the best potassium supplements on the market, then you'll want to give this one a try.
Potassium is one of the minerals provided, this electrolyte is essential for the muscular and nervous function, and overall health as well. This supplement also includes calcium, magnesium, selenium, manganese, molybdenum, iodine, zinc, copper, chromium, and vitamin D3.
- Multi Mineral Formula
- High Calcium for Bone Health
- Iron-Free Formula
- A Dietary Supplement
- GMP Quality Assured
- This product contains potassium chloride in a 50 mg presentation and various trace minerals such as Chromium, Zinc, Manganese, Copper, etc.
Although it contains potassium, this supplement is one that is more of an all-around mineral supplement that is designed to guarantee that the body consumes sufficient trace minerals on a daily basis.
The potassium does contain enough to be beneficial. However, there are potassium supplements on the market that are more effective.
Not only that, but it is produced in facilities that are NSF Good Manufactured Practiced registered, which means you can rest assure that it is a quality supplement. The supplement's bioavailability is enhanced because it contains aspartate in its ingredients.
- Natural Potassium Citrate
- Dietary Supplement
- With Potassium Aspartate
- Supports strong, healthy bones
- Balances internal water distribution
- Balances pH
- Balances electrolytes
- Provides additional amino acids
In the 80s, the company started to produce herbal supplements, teas, vitamins, minerals and more. Twinlab is a reputable company, and their products are sold in over 50 countries around the world.
- There is 99 mg of potassium citrate, as well as aspartate.
- It is a good supplement that has qualities that can help prevent kidney stones, and a well-known company produces it.
- However, there is a downside to it, and that is the supplement is quite expensive when compared to similar supplements.
- Also, the label doesn't mention the amounts of each type of potassium found in the product.
It also helps to support the active health of the nervous system and muscles. Made in the U.S.A, thi9s potassium supplement has ingredients which have been internationally selected.
- Supports Fluid Balance
- Dietary Supplement
- Guaranteed Quality
- Laboratory Tested
- Suitable for Vegetarians
All of their facilities have undergone successful auditing but the United States Pharmacopeia and Specialized Technology Resources (STR), this organization is dedicated to ensuring that supplement companies strictly adhere to standards of quality.
- Potassium gluconate in a 99 mg presentation.
- This potassium supplement is a basic one which offers the main benefits of potassium; particular emphasis is placed on potassium benefits in regards to the function of the muscles.
- Potassium gluconate is a great potassium supplement specifically for athletes; this is because it helps to fuel their muscles with much-needed glycogen stores. That being said, as with the supplement mentioned above, it does contain fillers.
2) What Is Potassium?
You need proteins for muscle repair and healthy fats for hormone production. You also need micronutrients – vitamins and minerals that play a role in everything from bone repair to regulating your metabolism.
One particular micronutrient that you need is potassium. It is found naturally in things like bananas, and it serves the role of promoting heart health, regulating your metabolism, and regulating the pH of your cells.
You can take potassium supplements to keep your levels up. You should make sure that you don't take in too much through supplementation though because too much potassium is as bad as too little. Here's a quick overview of why you should take in potassium, and how to supplement it safely.
They are all important for the proper function of your cells. Potassium is an electrolyte, and it is often added to sports drinks.
Potassium is important for cardiovascular health, the electrical activity of your muscles (And remember, the heart is a muscle), and the water balance between cells. Around 70 percent of the potassium in your body is stored in fluids such as blood and plasma – the remainder is stored in your bones.
Potassium is actually a soft, silver looking substance that is alkali and looks similar to sodium. It is abundant in the earth's crust, sand it is highly reactive. It tarnishes when exposed to air.
We only need to take in small amounts of it, and we could get it from fruits and vegetables, in theory, but modern diets don't seem to support that. In the United States, a place where the vast majority of the population is indeed well fed, it is estimated that 98 percent of the population is deficient in potassium.
It can also occur after severe vomiting or use of diuretics. People who are suffering from diabetic ketoacidosis are sometimes deficient in potassium, and excessive alcohol consumption can cause the issue. Using antibiotics can affect your gut flora and your digestion, and this can cause deficiencies as well.
The recommended daily dose of potassium for an average sized healthy adult is 4,700 mg. Most people could get this from bananas, avocados, sweet potatoes, green and leafy vegetables and other similar sources – but people who live on a diet of processed foods might struggle with that and could end up with a potassium deficiency.
Symptoms of a potassium deficiency are not usually picked up until they become quite severe. At this point, if you go to a doctor they might notice it in blood tests. Potassium deficiency can be identified if it is quite serious, though, because symptoms such as chronic fatigue and weakness, cramps, constipation, bloating and abdominal pain will surface.
At the most severe levels of deficiency, it is not uncommon for people to experience palpitations and arrhythmia. These issues can be life-threatening.
These supplements are made from a potassium salt – which could be a phosphate, aspartate, orotate, gluconate, citrate, chloride or bicarbonate. The different salts are good for different issues – but if you are just looking to supplement potassium for general health, then any type is good.
Potassium supplements can help with the basic side-effects of potassium deficiency and can help to avoid a situation where the most serious side-effects arise. Some supplements are better for things like gout and kidney stones than others, and if you have an issue like that, it is well worth talking to a doctor.
These are higher end supplements but are generally thought to be more effective if you are worried about avoiding nasty side effects and want to make sure you get the most bio-available version of the supplement that you can.
3) 17 Benefits Of Potassium Supplements That Might Surprise You
They help to improve metabolic efficiency, strengthen the cardiovascular and muscular systems, and improve gastrointestinal function. Here are some of the many ways that your health can benefit from the use of potassium supplements.
Potassium is instrumental in ensuring that a steady rhythm is maintained. When there are low levels of potassium in your body, your heart will produce weaker contractions, and its rhythm will be disturbed.
This increase in blood volume creates additional pressure on the artery walls, leading to a measurable increase in blood pressure. Potassium maintains healthy blood pressure levels by counteracting the effects of sodium.
Potassium improves the ability of the neurons to perform these tasks. Therefore it is very valuable for improving one's cognitive functioning and memory.
When potassium isn't consumed in sufficient amounts, mineral compounds that are part of bones are used to reduce the physical effects of metabolic acids, leading to a loss of minerals in your urine, and increased bone resorption.
Potassium neutralizes the effects of metabolic acid, thereby helping to preserve healthy bone density in your body.
Muscles respond to these signals by causing sodium ions to travel into their cellular structure, which in turn causes potassium ions to travel out of the muscle cell through the concentration gradient, leading the muscles to contract.
Without proper levels of potassium, your central nervous system will struggle to reach peak performance.
4) Who Can Benefit From Potassium?
Not only can potassium be used to treat specific health issues, but it can also help to prevent them by supporting your body's basic functions. Here is a brief list of conditions that potassium supplementation can help treat and prevent:
Potassium supplements help by ensuring that your body is receiving enough of this vital mineral, thereby preventing the risk of developing this condition.
It can harden over time, which narrows the arteries, causing a disruption of the flow of oxygen-rich blood to your essential organs. Potassium supplements help to prevent high blood pressure due to constricted arteries, which helps to reduce any symptoms of this condition.
When cataracts form, both sodium and calcium levels increase, and vitamin C and potassium levels decrease. Potassium supplements can replenish potassium levels, directly counteracting the effects of sodium to prevent and treat cataracts.
Low potassium can also be a cause of dehydration, so taking a potassium supplement could potentially help treat or prevent this condition.
Type 2, an insulin-resistant form that generally develops as the result of an unhealthy diet, most often occurs in adulthood and is more common than type 1. Gestational diabetes occurs only during pregnancy. Consuming potassium supplements helps to prevent type 2.
Hepatitis causes those affected to become more vulnerable to the effects of sodium and fluid retention. Salt can make the condition worse, while potassium can be used to treat it by counteracting the impact of sodium.
If you are like most Americans, you probably do not consume enough potassium in your body. Don't wait for symptoms to begin to appear. Taking potassium supplements will help to ensure that your body receives all the potassium that it needs to be healthy.
High blood pressure can be caused by many different things - including excessive salt intake, smoking, and being overweight. People who drink a lot of alcohol are at increased risk of this condition, as are people who do not get a lot of exercises.
Salt can increase your blood pressure, but sodium is the main culprit - potassium is another form of a salt, and it can help to counteract some of the issues with high blood pressure, which makes it a useful treatment.
There are some auto-immune conditions that can affect your risk of developing osteoporosis, and it can also be caused by some blood disorders, genetics, and nutrition issues, as well as hormone issues. Potassium can help to slow down bone loss, therefore reducing a person's risk of developing osteoporosis.
Some people who suffer from a stroke end up with permanent damage to their brain and can lose the ability to speak or to move in certain ways, depending on what area of the brain is damaged. Strokes can be fatal in some cases. Once you have had one stroke, you are at increased risk of having another.
People with high blood pressure are at greater risk of having a stroke as well. Older women are at greater risk than younger women or men. Potassium supplements are useful for reducing the risk factors of having stroke.
Dehydration increases a person's risk of developing kidney stones, and people who have gout are more likely to suffer from them too. Some people are advised to take potassium citrate as a way of alkalizing their urine so that stones do not form.
5) How To Take Potassium Supplements?
It is, however, important that you do take them with a drink - ideally water - because the supplements can make you ill if you take them dry. In fact, you may find that you tolerate them better if you take them immediately after a meal, and wash them down with a drink of water.
Do not lie down after taking them - for at least ten minutes, ideally half an hour, because this could increase the risk of the potassium traveling up the esophagus, which could make you feel ill.
Always follow the dosage instructions and recommendations given by the manufacturer. Excessive potassium intake can cause hyperkalemia, which is quite dangerous.
6) Are There Any Side Effects?
Nausea, vomiting, bloating and abdominal discomfort should not happen if you are taking the supplements properly. If you have persistent side effects, then talk to your doctor about them.
In addition, don't start taking supplements if you are already taking prescription medications or have a pre-existing health condition - clear the supplement with your doctor first.
7) How To Choose a Good Potassium Supplement?
- Potassium Chloride is used as a general supplement and is good for preventing hypokalemia, or potassium deficiency.
- Potassium Phosphate, on the other hand, is often taken with sodium phosphate to alkalize urine and to help prevent kidney stones.
- Potassium Citrate is another variation, and it helps to treat gout and kidney stones. It is found naturally in food, and it is a good general supplement for people who need to take in more potassium.
- Potassium Bicarbonate is a popular supplement for managing potassium deficiency and for neutralizing excessive stomach acid.
- Potassium Gluconate is used to help prevent hypokalemia and can also help with certain muscle issues and blood sugar/glycogen issues. It is used as a general supplement.
- Potassium Aspartate is a form of potassium that is combined with aspartate - an amino acid. It is a sports supplement, and it is quite easy to find in health food stores.
- Potassium Orotate is made from orotic acid and potassium. It is a relatively new supplement and as such is still quite expensive but it is becoming popular as a general supplement because it is highly bioavailable.
Any of these supplements will work for preventing a potassium deficiency, but some are more effective than others for treating gout and kidney stones, so it is worth talking to a doctor before you spend money on these supplements.
8) In Conclusion
Avoiding salts can be as bad as taking in too many of them. Supplementing potassium has a number of health benefits as you can see above. So, consider adding a high-quality supplement to your day to day nutrition routine, so that you are getting enough healthy salts.